- How do you use a dash instead of a comma?
- How do I insert an em dash in Word?
- What do you call the long dash in a sentence?
- How do you properly use a dash?
- What effect do dashes have in writing?
- How do you use a dash example?
- Can you use a dash in academic writing?
- What does the double dash mean in writing?
- What are these called in English?
- Is a dash longer than a hyphen?
- How do you use a dash and hyphen in a sentence?
- What is a dash example?
- How do I type an m dash?
- How do you write a long dash in writing?
How do you use a dash instead of a comma?
Use Dashes in Place of a Comma Em dashes can be used in pairs to replace commas when writing a parenthetical or interruptive phrase.
The dashes have a slightly more emphatic feel, making the reader focus on this information that is set inside the special marks..
How do I insert an em dash in Word?
3. 1. Inserting an em-dash in WordFor Mac: press “option+shift+hyphen key”. … For desktop PC: press “alt+ctrl+minus” on the numeric keypad (the number section on the far right of your keyboard).More items…
What do you call the long dash in a sentence?
The hyphen (-), the shortest of the three marks, is familiar (sometimes wretchedly so) to most writers. So is the em dash (—), more often called the long dash, or sometimes just the dash.
How do you properly use a dash?
DashesTo set off material for emphasis. Think of dashes as the opposite of parentheses. … To indicate sentence introductions or conclusions. You can sometimes use a dash to help readers see that certain words are meant as an introduction or conclusion to your sentence. … To mark “bonus phrases.” … To break up dialogue.
What effect do dashes have in writing?
1. Dashes. Quick Use: Use a dash to connect independent clauses or to inerrupt a main clause in a way that creates dramatic effect. Dashes function in two ways: to signal interruptions in a sentence (basically like parentheses), and to connect independent clauses.
How do you use a dash example?
Dashes are also used to mark the interruption of a sentence in dialogue: Example: “Help! This horse is going too fast,” the actor yelled. “I think I am fall—.”
Can you use a dash in academic writing?
Although en or em dashes are acceptable in scholarly prose, they are less formal than colons and often suggest an aside or afterthought, so excessive use of this construction (in every sentence, for instance) is poor style, and as a general rule no more than one parenthetical or explanatory clause marked by dashes …
What does the double dash mean in writing?
Double dashes are used instead of commas (or parentheses) to interrupt a sentence. The phrase separated by dashes must be grammatically inessential, by which I simply mean that the sentence will still work without that phrase.
What are these called in English?
There are 14 punctuation marks that are commonly used in English grammar. They are the period, question mark, exclamation point, comma, semicolon, colon, dash, hyphen, parentheses, brackets, braces, apostrophe, quotation marks, and ellipsis.
Is a dash longer than a hyphen?
A hyphen (-) is a punctuation mark that’s used to join words or parts of words. … A dash is longer than a hyphen and is commonly used to indicate a range or a pause. The most common types of dashes are the en dash (–) and the em dash (—).
How do you use a dash and hyphen in a sentence?
A hyphen joins two or more words together while a dash separates words into parenthetical statements. The two are sometimes confused because they look so similar, but their usage is different. Hyphens are not separated by spaces, while a dash has a space on either side.
What is a dash example?
Dashes replace otherwise mandatory punctuation, such as the commas after Iowa and 2013 in the following examples: Without dash: The man from Ames, Iowa, arrived. With dash: The man—he was from Ames, Iowa—arrived. Without dash: The May 1, 2013, edition of the Ames Sentinel arrived in June.
How do I type an m dash?
Hold down the [Alt] key and type 0151 on the numeric keypad. Choose Symbol from the Insert menu, click the Special Characters tab, highlight the em dash, and click Insert.
How do you write a long dash in writing?
We use the em dash to create a strong break in the structure of a sentence. We can use these dashes in pairs, as we would use parentheses—that is, to enclose a word, or a phrase, or a clause (as we’ve done here)—or they can be used alone to detach one end of a sentence from its main body.